. brightmeadowknits: Franz and Pope Restoration Part 5 - the saga continues

Monday, May 29, 2023

Franz and Pope Restoration Part 5 - the saga continues

 The #120 needles ordered from Ali Express did not work in my Franz and Pope.  The butts of the needles were indeed shorter than the Lamb/Tuttle needles.  Maybe too short.  In addition, the shaft of the needle is too fine.  The needles rotate within the channel of the cylinder, jamming the cams.   

So I've inquired from another source, knittingelements.eu, as to the availability of needles between the Lamb/Tuttle needle and the #120 needle for a mask-making machine. 



I'm waiting for a response from them.  As it were, I am on pins and needles!  


In the meantime, I visited the location where Katy Kelly grew up, a farm in North Robinson, Ohio.  Katy was the demonstrator who travelled to knitting mills for six weeks at a time to help them get set up with their new factories.

The house is no longer there, and the barn has apparently collapsed.  I did not trespass on the property, but took a photo from the road using my husband's phone, as I had forgotten mine.

The only things that impressed me about North Robinson were a.) How flat the landscape is,  b.) How huge the Colonel Crawford school is.   It has its own water tower, out in the middle of the farm fields, and c.) How close  the railroad was to the Kelly farm.

I used bing's AI to look for information on Franz and Pope, and it pulled up a new fact for me, a short biographical paragraph of a Franz and Pope bookkeeper named McCutchon.  

I need to check the dates to see if he was the bookkeeper before Katy Kelly or afterwards, or maybe even overlapping her time.



No comments: