. brightmeadowknits: Biking, touring, and Knitting?

Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Biking, touring, and Knitting?

Are you a knitter? Are you an easygoing touring cyclist willing to pedal from 30-50 miles a day, camp in a tent sometimes, and sleep in a bed-and-breakfast other times? 

I'm planning a two-week tour of Ohio and Indiana local knitting shops, alpaca farms, and sheep farms as well as other fiber-y places.  I also anticipate stopping at locally-owned restaurants for lunch and dinner, as well as local bike shops for necessities.  












I'm still working out the details.  I know I won't be taking along a knitting machine or a spinning wheel, but maybe a pair of needles would fit in my pannier.  I anticipate buying some yarn along the way, and I am assuming they will ship it to me! 

This trip was inspired by Knit 1, Bike 1, a book by Janet Renouf-Miller, the story of a "woman of a certain age" who cycled across Scotland visiting local knit shops.  Along the way, she crocheted some of the things she saw, she kept her fans updated, and she made a voyage of self-discovery. 

I, too, have been discovering what I can do now that I have retired.  I never thought of myself as an athlete, but over the course of the last two years I have pushed myself to ride further than I ever thought possible.  All it took was the BELIEF that I could do it.  

I am looking at dates for this tour.  Someone suggested I should leave from the Great Lakes Fiber Expo in Wooster Ohio over the Memorial Day weekend.  That might get me back just in time to leave for the Pedal Across Lower Michigan in late June.  

I think I am maybe not the only one who would like to do this.  I just read an article in Adventure Cycling from 2012 where a whole knitting club took a bike trip to the Cour d 'Alenes in Idaho. 



No comments: