. brightmeadowknits: Finally....learning how to crochet

Saturday, January 15, 2022

Finally....learning how to crochet

 I never thought I would ever learn how to crochet. It's like a mental block for me. Every time I open up a pattern and look at the instructions for half double, treble, single, or double crochet stitches all together in one row, I freeze. I can't seem to remember why a single crochet is NOT THE SAME as a half double crochet. And then when it starts talking about making shells? No way.  

Last year I started making a big hamper, though, using worsted weight yarn. It's only one stitch pattern. A single crochet. Over and over. I must have made ten thousand stitches by now. It's a good mindless project to do while watching TV with my husband. I started without a pattern, and, as was probably to be expected, it's pretty floppy. My vision was to have a big hamper or basket to pile afghans in. I'm not sure if I'll ever get done with it. I still have to work out how to make handles. But my main goal was to learn the single crochet stitch, and I have succeeded in that.




And (drum roll, please....) today I learned to do a half double crochet stitch!





This scarf is only made up of foundation and turning chains and the half double crochet stitch.  I think this is the best way for me to learn, by reposition, until muscle memory takes over and I have learned the stitch. 

I got a full row about six feet long done in the class, and I have gotten a little faster and done a few more rows since I got home. The yarn is a bulky weight and I am using a size 6 (European?) hook. The pattern actually called for a larger hook.  

Actually, the pattern called for a size N, but I thought we were supposed to use a size K, which I do not have in my collection. 


 Isn't it nuts for someone who doesn't know how to crochet to have so many crochet hooks?  I've acquired many of them along with sets of second-hand knitting needles.

Maybe in 2023 I'll attempt the double crochet stitch!

I had not visited Alpaca Meadows before.   Right now their hours are limited to Saturday afternoons, and other days by appointment.   I was amazed at the beautiful variety of alpaca yarns, accessories and alpaca-themed gifts they had in stock.   I'll definitely be back.  Even after the second half of the class which is in two weeks.








I had no idea we had this resource in our community.  So even though we don't have a LYS on Main Street any more, between Alpaca Meadows and the Fiber Arts Guild at Malabar Farms where handspinners sometimes offer beautiful handspun yarn, a knitter will never be out of yarn here.


No comments: