Sunday, April 29, 2007

Potholders


The farmgirls are having another exchange, this time it is potholders. I used a heavy cotton twine for these on the Brother bulky. Tried to do a tuck stitch for more bulk but the string didn't cooperate. Ended up with the plain stockinette. Used 60 stitches wide by 45 rows tall. Used provisional cast on and then bound off both ends with a crochet hook, used the tails to crochet a seam up the side. There were a lot of experiments along the way with this. The fairaisle was a big mistake, it will not be a good potholder. I washed these in hot water and dried them in the dryer several times to shrink them, so that the stitches are extra tight for insulation value.

Blanket square

I was invited to participate in a blanket project for a friend of a friend with cancer. Sort of a "blanket of caring". I've completed my square in "Dancing Ladies" pattern - it shows that life is a dance, and, we are all connected. I decided, since it is fairaisle, that it might be best to also do a facing square. Here they are:













I'll post more details later after the blanket is completed and presented, as it is a surprise for the recipient.

The navy is Solara acrylic - 2 strands of 2/24 (Deep Indigo) - from Atlantic Spinnery, and the pink is Cashmilon from Aurora Yarns - in Rose (1 strand).

I got 8 stitches to the inch in fairaisle at tension 7 on the KH864, so 64 stitches was exactly 8 inches, and I knit 77 rows to arrive at 8 inches tall. I think this is my very favorite machine.