. brightmeadowknits: New hat pattern available in Ravelry

Monday, March 25, 2019

New hat pattern available in Ravelry

I have finally published my first pattern in Ravelry!  It is the hat pattern I used for the beginning machine knitting class I recently taught at Crafty Lady Trio on Hall Road in Macomb, Michigan. 
Paton's Classic Wool (red), Generic Acrylic (white), Plymouth Encore Worsted (Mushroom)


Plymouth Encore Worsted
Generic Acrylic Yarn
I made a change to the pattern after I developed it for the class. The change clarified how to ensure that the crown of the hat will be knitted as desired;  in reverse stockinette, as shown in the photo with the mushroom-y tan color that I knitted using Plymouth Encore Worsted Colorspun, or in stockinette, as shown in the white hat knitted with a generic acrylic worsted.  The trick is the direction of the last row knitted before hanging the lining on the same needles with the outer fabric and knitting them together, before starting the crown, and the direction of the subsequent bindoff.  Paying attention to the direction of the carriage means that you do not have to cut the yarn to proceed to the knitting of the crown. 

The hat is knitted on a bulky 9.0 mm machine, (I used a Brother KH-260) using a worsted-weight yarn.  It is double-thickness around the body of the hat, over the ears, and very warm.  It does not require any automated patterning.  I originally designed that hat using multiple cables around the head, but needed to reduce the number of cables, because I wanted the students in the class to be able to complete the manual patterning during the time allotted for class.  If you like, it would be an easy matter to increase the number of cables by spacing them in between the ones listed in the pattern.  Make it your own!

My next step:  Update this blog to allow links to Ravelry for purchase.  Coming soon!  For now, just hop on over to Ravelry and look for Brenda Fish Designs in the pattern section.

No comments: