. brightmeadowknits: Stripes are fun. Maybe.

Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Stripes are fun. Maybe.

 I'm making another sweater using substantially the same design as the last one.  Except that I am using a different yarn, yielding a different gauge.  The gauge dictates 232 stitches for the front.  Since my standard-gauge machine has 200 needles, that's impossible.  So I decided to make a center front and a center back seam.  

The DOMY yarn I am using is from an auction (see previous post).  There is not enough of one color to make the entire sweater.   So I decided to use stripes. 

After knitting a short while, I decided it would be best to install a color changer.  I have several, which I accumulated with used machines.  

I have only ever actually used one of them, and it was a long time ago.  

I am knitting on the single bed (except of course for the ribbing) so I decided to use the 720A color changer.  

It is actually working quite well. 

Except when the yarn breaks and the entire sweater falls off the bed of the knitting machine.  

I've been working on this for forever, it seems.  I've finished one half of the front and am halfway through the second half. 

I decided to take a break and work on a commission.  A friend of a friend wants a red beret or tam.  I knitted one based on Diana Sullivan's Tam Take 2 pattern, only I knitted with a lining due to our cold Ohio winters.  I tried it on. (don't worry, I'll steam it again before sending it out.)   It looks pretty good.  Especially with the French marinière, or Breton-style sailor's top. 


I missed a couple of stitches, evidently, hanging the ribbing onto the body of the hat, because it didn't quite come out even at the center of the pinwheel.  But almost!   Barely noticeable!  I'm not going to fix it, as I spent the better part of a day completing it.  And I am not charging enough to cover my labor at minimum wage already.  I knitted this in acrylic from my stash.  

 

I am thinking I should make one for myself now that I've had some practice.  

After I get back from grocery shopping, it's back to the grindstone for the striped sweater. 




No comments: