. brightmeadowknits: CSM Adventure

Friday, March 24, 2023

CSM Adventure

 I have been looking for a Franz and Pope Circular Sock Knitting Machine for a while.  My ancestors came to the German immigrant community near Crestline, Ohio, and Franz and Pope filed their patent from there.  Eventually the Franz and Pope manufacturing was located in Bucyrus, Ohio, the county seat of Crawford County, and some of my ancestors also lived there. 

I recently was informed that a member of my local fiber arts guild may have one of these for sale. 

I drove to his home to see it.  

I was a little disappointed.  

I was expecting this:


instead, what was on offer was less than this.   




I backed out of my original offer, and I am feeling awful. The seller is a former member of my fiber arts guild.  


I am completely captivated by the possibility of possessing a piece of history, but on the other hand, the machine on offer does not have any identifying marks and does not show that it was manufactured in the city of my ancestors.  

I am torn.  Should I contact him again and ask for a lower price than my original offer?   







No comments: