. brightmeadowknits: Success with the Franz and Pope - Restoration Part 3

Monday, April 17, 2023

Success with the Franz and Pope - Restoration Part 3

 


After allowing the cylinder to soak overnight in Marvel Mystery Oil, and a good oiling with a light sewing machine oil, the machine started cranking forward! 

I ordered sample needles from Angora Valley because my husband thinks new needles are needed.  

According to their web site, the Lamb needles can be used as long as the gauge is the same.  I thought this was probable.  After all, Franz and Pope won a patent infringement lawsuit against Lamb.  


The gauge appears to be very close, but the butt of the needle is just slightly bigger than the needles that came with the machine.  Also I notice that the hook is slightly bigger.  

When I replaced two of the original needles with the samples, the crank won't turn past the new needles.  So now I am looking for another source of needles. 

One of my friends suggested just drilling out the cylinder with a Dremel-type tool.  I have no courage to do that. 




No comments: