. brightmeadowknits: Franz and Pope Restoration Part 6 - Success!

Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Franz and Pope Restoration Part 6 - Success!

I have not heard anything back from the Knitting Elements sales team.  I don't know if it is because they don't have needles specifically to meet my specs, or if it is because they only deal in large quantities of industrial needles.  

In the meantime,  I responded to Milissa Ellison Dewey's post in one of the circular sock knitting machine groups on Facebook with some facts I gleaned from the research I am doing into the history of the Franz and Pope Company.  One thing led to another, and eventually she messaged me privately and she suggested that I try the Imperia needles on the Angora Valley web site as they may be the correct gauge, correct butt height, and only slightly longer needle.  The Franz and Pope yarn carrier is not adjustable for height.  She happened to have some of that type of needle in her stash (she has an incredible number of antique machines), and she went ahead and installed it in her machine and sent me a short video, it was working perfectly. 

So I went ahead and ordered the Imperia needles from Angora Valley.  A few days later they arrived.

The Imperia needle is on the left, and the original needle is on the right.  

They work smoothly in my machine.  I was a little concerned about the curve in the shank of the needle but apparently it does not matter. 



I used the vintage weights I ordered from an ebay auction in Nova Scotia, the Kris Krafter buckle, and borrowed my heel fork from my Master Machine. 

No comments: