. brightmeadowknits: Left wheel on KH-230

Monday, January 15, 2018

Left wheel on KH-230

I've just finished handknitting Berroco's Left wheel sweater, using Plymouth Yarn's Encore Colorspun chunky.  See yesterday's post for details about that project.

By the way, I discovered a typographical error in the pattern.  On right front, where it says to inc 1 at beg of next RS row I believe this should be on WS row.

Now I plan to make a similar sweater using the same type of yarn, but in a different colorway, on the machine.  It will require some conversions.

The first decision is which machine to use.  Because the yarn is "chunky" it narrows it down to one of the bulky machines.  There is ribbing on the project, and although I haven't decided for sure how to adapt the pattern,since there aren't enough needles to do a traditional 1x1 full pitch ribbing. I could change to half pitch and knit 4 stitches of ribbing for every 3 stitches in the body, as the instructions are written, or i could do a totally different edging.  Only one of my machines currently has a ribber on it, and that is the KH-230.  The lack of automatic patterning on this model is not a problem if I do ribbing, since the majority of the garment is knitted in stockinette.  If I want to change this to tuck stitch, I would want to dig the KR-260 rubber out of the closet, so I can use the KH-260's punchcard.

But, first, this is a very bulky yarn.  Will I be able to knit it at the pattern gauge? 



The answer is YES! I won't bore you with how long it took me to re-acquaint myself with this older machine and get the tension swatch completed.. (Only two false starts...)


No comments: